Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Wet

This image makes me a bit homesick for Seattle. It is the work of Melanie Connor, a photographer for the New York Times (used here without permission, though much appreciated nonetheless), and I think it is one of the more meaningful photographs I've seen of downtown. Of course, I do like my lines. You ought to read an article on near-record-breaking rain and see why they used this one.

I spent a wonderful weekend in Ashland OR over the holiday and visited with Linda Sue's family, but in particular enjoyed discussions with my brother-in-law Steven. Visiting his studio was a quiet joy for me, and I wish now we'd had more time to ruminate there. Good things are happening in that room.

He also (perhaps unwittingly) gave me some good ideas about a new approach to this writing space. We'll see. For now, I'm trying to reach my monthly pages goal, and I still have 3 whole days. December will be a tough month for getting work done. We'll see.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Jonathan. I should have invited everyone down to the studio for after-hours. . .but that can feel so self indulgent.

November 28, 2006 10:19 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Foster said...

I understand that feeling of self-indulgence. I often find much of my creative space in conversations about writing, and those about a book on a narcissist are a double whammy.

Studios, however, are a wonderfully rich environment to hang out in, if one is open to creative spaces. It is the equivalent for me to hanging out in "dad's garage", which in my youth, I couldn't find connection to.

I also loved seeing those posted images in the flesh/canvas/board/ink/paint/media!

November 30, 2006 7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home