Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Acknowledgments

Good poets borrow, great poets steal

I am deeply indebted to Casey Stetler for his invaluable help in editing the book, his unceasing enthusiasm, and his willingness to let me borrow his ideas.

I would also like to thank Dr. James R. Mannes for the many meaningful conversations about everything from psychoanalysis to narcissism to surfing.

In addition, I wish to acknowledge those whose response to earlier versions pushed me along to this version: Lauralee Farrer, Gerric Duncan, Paul Stetler, Kristi Walsh and Michael Wright. I borrowed from them as well.

Source Material

Here is a list of some of the reading I did in preparation for “The Autobiography of a Narcissist.”

Trapped in the Mirror
Elan Golomb

Learning to Love
Harry Frederick Harlow

The Culture of Narcissism: American Life in an Age of Diminishing Expectations
Christopher Lasch

Narcissism: Denial of the True Self
Alexander Lowen, M.D.

Essential Papers on Narcissism (Essential Papers in Psychoanalysis)
Andrew Morrison
(specifically “On narcissism: an introduction (1914)” by Sigmund Freud)

Narcissism and Character Transformation: The Psychology of Narcissistic Character Disorders
Nathan Schwartz-Salant

Narcissism and Intimacy: Love and Marriage in an Age of Confusion
Marion F. Solomon

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

presumably, as you are stealing from t.s.eliot, you've numbered yourself among the great poets. my, my you do know something of narcissism, don't you?

congratulatons on this fine work, jonathan -- may great success soon follow.

January 27, 2006 10:45 AM  
Blogger Jonathan Foster said...

My research showed that no one is quite certain that he is the orignator of that quote. He said it, but likely stole it from someone else. The absolute most I can say about myself is that I borrowed it.

I also borrowed from you, Casey. Extensively. But I'm afraid those ideas are on permanent loan.

January 27, 2006 11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, i suppose that you think that i'm so vain, that i think this book is about me. don't you?

January 27, 2006 11:48 AM  
Blogger Jonathan Foster said...

Nice. Nice.

January 31, 2006 6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Mark Twain said it.

April 25, 2007 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home